Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change Proposal: ELN Buildroot and Compose V3

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 3:02 PM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 02. 04. 20 v 20:07 Stephen Gallagher napsal(a):
> > but I *did*
> > acknowledge that we are going to incorporate the possibility of
> > maintaining separate specs for ELN and Rawhide for any maintainer who
> > absolutely wants to do more manual work.
>

> You see, this is precisely the point where the disconnect is. I believe
> that the ELN branch is less work. Not because I as a RHEL downstream
> don't want to give back to Fedora or upstream, but because I want save
> Fedora and upstreams from or downstream problems (which are typically
> excessive dependencies). And this is not because I packaged one package
> here or there, that is because I maintain several hundreds packages in
> Fedora and a bit smaller amount (still close to hundred not counting
> their versions and variants) of packages in RHEL.

And having to manually perform a sync between those packages for every
update is somehow less work than *checks notes* adding some
conditionals once and then letting it get pulled from the master
branch thereafter? I don't understand your logic here, I'm sorry.

> And this is just example from today why the conditionals are almost
> always wrong:
>
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/rubygem-scruffy/c/ecdb3b762fef08eae8055d30dc9dfc2255e3c275

"People make mistakes, therefore we shouldn't try anything new."
That's honestly what this sounds like. Conditionals are sometimes
wrong, so don't ever use them?

I know this message is coming off sounding a bit flippant. I apologize
for that, but tone is hard in an email. I understand that you have a
personal preference against conditionalizing your spec files. As I
said in my previous email: we are going to let you do that manual work
if you want to. To me, it seems somewhat nonsensical, but I'm not
going to continue to fight to change your mind.