Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

Paul Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, Gitlab’s roadmap is also conflicting with Fedora
>>> objectives. The bread and butter of Gitlab is intermediating between
>>> devs and end users, culling free software intermediaries like
>>> distributions, and positionning itself in their stead. That is
>>> unlikely to result in any commitment to making distribution
>>> workflows work.
>>>
>>> That would not be a problem if the disintermediation worked, but
>>> like many actors Gitlab sees the $$$ and power in being the
>>> desintermediator, and does not care if the result is deffective, as
>>> long as $$$ and power flows its way.
>>
>> It's also important to note that at the core of GitLab's incentive
>> model is that they want to remove incentives to use FOSS solutions in
>> favor of their unified proprietary solution. They are constantly
>> integrating features and capabilities into the proprietary parts to
>> make it "juicier" for enterprises who don't really have a compunction
>> about whether they are using Free Software solutions or not, or even
>> may not be willing to support them if it was Free Software because of
>> outmoded thinking.
>>
>> The consequence of this is that it starves interest and development in
>> FOSS solutions, and contributes to making the FOSS ecosystem weaker
>> over time.
>
> That statement rings hollow for me, when Github is arguably the single
> biggest vendor of open source in the world, no part of itself is open
> source,

I assume you didn't mean quite that.  Sure, it's not totally open
source, but it's built on and uses open source tools, just like many
other applications.  In a personal example, I've fixed something on
github by patching https://github.com/jch/html-pipeline/ .  Or more
bulk, there are 340 repos at https://github.com/github .

Thanks,
--Robbie