Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 17:21:14 -0400,
 Paul Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That statement rings hollow for me, when Github is arguably the single
biggest vendor of open source in the world, no part of itself is open
source, and thanks to its pervasiveness, open source has won the war
of how development should work.

I care more about free software than open source. Github, at least in the past, didn't really encourage free software and a lot of stuff hosted there didn't have a clear license.

Github is a problem, because it seems to be benefitting from network effects to pressure people to create accounts there. I was very happy when Pagure was announced, because it seemed that there would be a competitor that should at least do well amoung people who cared about free software. Hopefully that still happens, but this change will probably kill some of the momentum.

Github certainly does some good things and isn't currently a bad actor, but I don't think they are really in the free software camp.