Re: The Git forge decision (was CPE Weekly: 2020-03-28)

I thought CPE ("Community Platform Engineering") is a part of the
community. But no, because you want to hand over pagure.io to "the
Community", so what community is that...People that don't have
hardware?

It seems that the whole proposal is trying to make src.fp.o and
git.centos.org part of a corporate solution and therefore eat a huge
part of Fedora & CentOS ecosystems and of their independence.

Do you realize how valuable the Fedora upstream is for RHEL?

The thing that I am saying is suggested by points like:

> 5
> As a RH Developer
> I need the ability to privately comment on a PR
> so that confidential information does not leak outside Red Hat

> 8
> As a RHEL engineer
> I want a modern git workflow
> So that I can use upstream practices in RHEL development for quicker delivery of features & fixes

Taking points like this into account for Fedora dist-git only makes
sense if RHEL development would take place directly on src.fp.o. But
that's not the case. We have community upstream and then there is RHEL
that further uses and processes the upstream work. While there is some
overlap in people, these are still two separate software development
domains.

Your suggestion is: "Let's break everything." Do you know how many
existing integrations with pagure there are? Do you know how much time
and also emotions was put into building it? Do you say all that work
was useless? It's not only about technology but it's also about how
many people connected on it with a vision to build something good. And
by trying to overcome the feature gap, this can continue.

Fedora is a community Linux distribution with people that want to work
together on something, it's not just some dumb package factory.

Do you want a community help on pagure? Ask for it but not by handing
it a project that RH does not want to maintain anymore but instead try
first to describe the feature gap we are missing and see if it can be
overcome by a collective effort. It's better than rushing into a
decision which is breaking an extreme amount of stuff and which might
put into grave a good reusable technology that we have and that we
could also offer to other people and other communities for free so
that open-source can thrive.

Fedora dist-git is using pagure, CentOS dist-git is using pagure so
both these parties are, in my opinion, okay with it already. Let's
build on something we already have instead of destroying it over and
over again. Only this is a way for Fedora community to be a leading
party in the open-source and free software, which it should be.

clime