Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change Proposal: ELN Buildroot and Compose V2

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 04:45:50PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 03:19:01PM -0500, Justin Forbes wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 2:42 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> > <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Yeah, that's something I was trying to figure out too. As discussed
> > > before, for rpm '.eln < .fc33', so if the same package is available
> > > from both sources, the rawhide one will win.
> > >

> > Can this be handled with the existing 'priority' directive in
> > repository config files?
>
> I think this is a nice behavior and we should consider not messing with
> it any. (ie, rawhide is always newer).

I think the question about priority was asked because:
When installing eln by "upgrading" from rawhide, you hardly want to go
package by package, but instead want to do a single command to install
everything that can be installed. That's the first time where you want
eln packages to have priority.

But then rawhide moves on, and some eln packages fail to build. Then
you still want to keep the eln stuff (and not revert to to the rawhide
versions of everything), but install the rawhide versions if that is
the only way to satisfy dependencies.

So this question is how to set up inheritance and priorities to get a
workable system like that. (Or maybe it's supposed to work in a
different way?)

Zbyszek