Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change Proposal: ELN Buildroot and Compose V2

Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Please see the newly-updated
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ELN_Buildroot_and_Compose
> for more details[1].

This page states:

> The fix will be done via a pull request that states a time limit. We
> want the regular maintainers to see / comment / commit, but we also
> don't want things to stall for months and get forgotten about.

What happens at the end of the time limit?  Do you ProvenPackager the PR
in?

> What if I do not want to have %if's in my spec files?
>
> As long as your package builds in ELN then just maintain your package
> like normal. If there is a build failure, the ELN SIG may provide a PR
> as described above or will discuss alternative approaches on an
> individual basis with you.

So... if we don't want %ifs in our spec files, the ELN SIG will provide
us some?

> Post build result to Fedora Messaging, so that it appears in Bodhi and
> can be used as a gating test.

So regular package updates are going to be gated on ELN.  This doesn't
sound like something non-RHEL maintainers will want.  What am I missing?

> It is under discussion whether this snapshot will have its own
> installation media. For now the preferred way to test ELN composes
> would be to use standard Fedora Rawhide images and then include ELN as
> an additional repository.

Is there a dnf change that goes with this to prefer ELN content, then?

> ELN artifacts will be made available for testing and development
> purposes, but we will not be shipping any content produced from ELN
> directly to the general public (such as on the standard mirror network
> or via getfedora.org).

> Though it is a System-Wide Change it has no user-facing component. We
> may announce it through other channels.

I'm confused.  This is going to be installable and testable, but has no
user-facing component?  What's a user-facing component then?

Thanks,
--Robbie