Re: Code of Conduct issue

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 10:47:54 AM MST Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Hi Daniel. List moderator here.
>
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 01:30:22PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
> > The disappearance of my blog on Planet Fedora was apparently influenced
> > by people in Debian.  The Pagure issue notes it is "From Debian".
> >
> > It demonstrates how people like Sam Hartman are using the Debian name
> > for privilege escalation in Fedora and other communities.
>
> This is something you should take up with the Fedora Council.
> This list is for Fedora developers, developing Fedora.

> > > <snip>
> > > If you have suggestions for how to make the Non-responsive maintainer
> > > Policy better, address them to FESCo, who will then consider them.
> >
> > This wasn't about making the Non-responsive maintainer policy better,
> > this was about Fedora Planet censoring my blog and undermining my
> > motivation.
>
> There is nothing this list can do about that, it's a matter for the
> Council.
>
> ...snip...
>
> To Daniel: I'm really sad to hear all the bad things you have gone through
> in recent years, it sounds like it's been a difficult time and I really
> hope things improve for you now.
>
> To everyone in this off-topic thread: please keep on topic to Fedora
> development here.
>
> I politely asked people posting to this thread to stop, Ben asked
> everyone again, I moderated the subject (which Daniel bypassed).
>
> Additional off-topic posts may result in removal from the list, and do
> note that I am not singling out Daniel here... there's a number of other
> people feeding the off-topic flames.
>
> Thanks for your consideration,
>
> kevin

Kevin,

it is important that issues such as this can be talked about publicly,
otherwise we are all "living in fear" of this Code of Conduct, which may be
abused to censor any given user for any arbitrary decision, inside or outside
of the project. In the case of Daniel, it is clearly not actions within the
project which led to his blog being removed from Fedora Planet. Further,
attempting to censor *this topic* is not in the spirit of the Friends
foundation either. It is important that we, as a community, can discuss the
rules we've chosen to govern our actions within this project. If we cannot,
they are not our rules, and so we need to get rid of them. Attempting to
censor such concerns will only cause cohesion issues within the project.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity