Re: CoC

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 3:37 PM Ty Young <youngty1997@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/19/20 2:18 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> >> Daniel, to request re-instatement, please follow the process outlined
> >> in the original code-of-conduct suspension notice you received. A
> >> public post is not necessary.
> >
> > Personally, I feel offended by your choice of words
> >
> > A suspension of a blog may itself be a violation of the Code of Conduct
> > if the blog was written in good faith
> >
> > I never received one complaint about my blog from anybody in the Fedora
> > world.  Several people noticed when it disappeared though.
> >
> > The blog post in question discussed a conflict of interest between the
> > leaders of two free software organizations, the Debian Project Leader
> > and the OSI board president.  As I interacted with both of them
> > personally, I felt that I was qualified to share my observations.
> >
> > That topic itself was forced into the public because one of the people
> > party to the conflict of interest had spread gossip about me and the
> > other used her speech at an event for humiliating volunteers.
> >
> > It feels like Codes of Conduct apply to some people and not others.  As
> > George Orwell puts it, /All animals are equal but some animals are more
> > equal than others/.
>

> Have you seen Gnome's CoC? It literally allows racism. There was a bit
> of an uproar about it, and Gnome foundation/developers members refused
> to change it.
>

> (Gnome and Fedora are very incestous projects, so yes, it is relevant)
>

> Now that communism is the cool, hip ideology in town, Gnome/Fedora are
> embracing it. Book burning is the next step, but one might argue the
> deletion of discussion threads and blogs already *is* that step.

Please stop insinuating things that are not true. Fedora and GNOME are
no more "incestuous" than any other combination of upstream projects
with Fedora. Many developers of many projects choose to use Fedora and
maintain packages in the distribution. It doesn't mean that those
projects are tightly woven in such a way that they behave identically
or have the same governance model.

I will note that Fedora and GNOME *do* have very different models of governance.

> > Fedora's Code of Conduct[1] asks people to be excellent to each other.
> > When talking about governance issues, being excellent to other
> > volunteers means telling them the truth about leadership problems in the
> > free software world.
> >
> > Being excellent to leaders who behave badly means keeping a focus on the
> > issues.  For example, when blogging about two people with a romantic
> > conflict of interest, I would never speculate about their first date and
> > other personal details, I would only focus on the way their decision
> > making was impaired.
> >
> > Even this week there are people writing public comments alleging I had a
> > conflict of interest, but that is false.  I named Chris Lamb and Molly
> > de Blanc because their conflict of interest was at the root of certain
> > problems.  At least one member of Debian's mentoring team also had a
> > conflict of interest with an intern.  I didn't identify them out of
> > concerns for student privacy.  Nonetheless, when people spread gossip,
> > leadership figures have a responsibility to stop it, but they didn't,
> > they added fuel to the fire and they continue to do so even now.
> >
> > If the leaders of organizations can behave like that, why should the
> > Code of Conduct deny a volunteer a right of reply?
>

> Silly Daniel, you aren't supposed to question the supreme leaders. You
> have to fall in line and never question anything.
>

> If you need help understanding, I recommend reading up on what's going
> on in China right now. Concentration camps, book burning, police
> brutality, people vanishing, etc...

This is not how Fedora works *at all*. If anything, I'm proof of that,
as are many other Fedora contributors. It doesn't mean you have to be
a terrible human while disagreeing with people.

Please stop making untrue and unkind comparisons.