Re: Anaconda quick-docs need review

On Fri, 2020-03-13 at 17:37 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 08:55:16AM +0000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > I honestly don't know. These were converted along with a bunch of other
> > wiki pages when the quick-docs were initially populated. I'll remove
> > them from the quick-docs now.
>
> For context: I made the initial list of quick docs from the most popular
> pages which seemed user-focused on the wiki. So that's how this got there.
>
> > No, the wiki isn't going away but it is meant to be more of a scratch
> > pad for contributors now. Relatively static information is slowly being
> > moved to the docs. This includes user-facing documentation, and other
> > bits like SOP documents for various teams. For example:
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/engineering/
>
> +1
>
> A few years ago, Mo Duffy and I identified something like two dozen totally
> different ways in which the project uses the wiki, from docs to policies to
> scratch pads to meet notes to QA test matrices to user pages to I don't even
> remember what now but I am not making up the number.
>
> Having this all together results in a poor user experience for people who
> want to read current and authoritative docs without being one click away
> from what's basically very perplexing deep-knowledge territory. So, we
> decided to create a separated docs site.

However, now we've started moving things like policies onto that docs
site. I also feel it bears pointing out that you can get from the docs
site to the wiki, or from the wiki from the docs site, or from either
of those things to absolutely anywhere else on the internet, with "one
click" :)

I know everyone knows I'm the #1 Wiki Fan, but I really don't grok a
lot of the justification for it being Bad. The justification I *can*
get behind is that it's a PITA to maintain, and for that I apologize to
smooge whenever I remember to ;). But I never really quite got this "oh
it's bad to have different things in one site" argument. Why is it bad?
What's the practical difference between them being there and them being
on different sites, if we still link between them and they're all
"Fedora"?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey