Re: [Test-Announce] Taskotron Going EOL on 2020-04-30

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 01:03:53 +0100
Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07. 03. 20 0:29, Tim Flink wrote:
> > If you have any questions about this, feel free to reply to this
> > thread.
>
> Hello Tim.
>
> I have 3 questions.
>
> 1) On what level of Fedora leadership was this decision made (and
> where can I read about it)?

Much of it was an informal discussion between the Taskotron developers
where we came to the conclusion that Fedora CI was in a better place to
run these checks for Fedora.

> 2) Why are we removing something that arguably has a lot of value
> with something that doesn't exist yet?

I don't really have much to add to the conversation that has
already happened elsewhere in the thread. This particular EOL date was
chosen due to the infra move and the space constraints they have going
forward.

Even if we wanted to revive Taskotron at this point, a lot of work
would be needed to change things to fit into current CPE paradigms.
We'd also need to address the bit-rot from being in "minimal effort
maintenance mode" for years.

> 3) And to get a bit more specific: How do we rewrite our general
> Python versions checks [1] to the Jenkins thing and how do we deploy
> them? (Our point of contact for this was previously Kamil Páral --
> but I suppose that changes now, correct?)

I was under the impression that the python-versions check wasn't needed
going forward. Did I misunderstand something?

For the short term, I can hack those to run in Jenkins for now so that
it (and any others needed) continue to run and aren't disrupted.

They would eventually need to be ported to the new setup which I'm told
will be based around tmt. Some of those details have come up already and
the Fedora CI folks will have more information once more of the required
bits are in place.

> Thanks for running Taskotron so far. It helped us a lot in the past
> with the Python 2 to 3 transition.

I'm glad to hear that it's been helpful. Thank you for your support
over the years.

Tim