[Test-Announce] Taskotron Going EOL on 2020-04-30

This is something that has been coming for quite a while now
and while it was discussed among QA and Infra, there hasn't been
enough communication with the rest of Fedora. For that, I apologize.

Taskotron has been in maintenance-only mode for a couple of years now
pending a replacement of some kind. That replacement has taken longer
to materialize than originally planned but the servers which run
Taskotron are almost out of warranty and will not be moving to the new
datacenter with the rest of Fedora's infrastructure.

Given all of this, we have decided that 2020-04-30 will be the day that
Taskotron will be turned off so that we're not trying to turn stuff off
in the middle of the infra move later this summer.

---------------------------
What does this mean for me?
---------------------------

If you're not a packager, you will probably not notice the shutdown.

If you are a packager, this will affect some of the results that you
currently see in Bodhi under the "Automated Tests" tab. At the moment,
most of those results come from Taskotron. If those checks are run in
the future, they will likely show up with slightly different names.

--------------------------------
Is anything replacing Taskotron?
--------------------------------

In the short term, there is a Jenkins instance which is running
rpminspect. Rpminspect includes tests which are effectively the same as
rpmlint and rpmgrill which removes the need to run them.

We already have rpminspect results going into production resultsdb
and showing up in Bodhi.

In the longer term, there will be a new solution to run rpminspect,
rpmdeplint and other static-analysis style checks coming from the Fedora
CI folks which they will be deploying before Flock.

What about ResultsDB?

ResultsDB is part of Taskotron but it is used by other bits like Bodhi
and Greenwave. The discussion around where ResultsDB will live going
forward and who will be responsible for the deployment is still ongoing
but ResultsDB will not be turned off as part of this EOL process.

If you have any questions about this, feel free to reply to this thread.

Thanks,

Tim