Re: Seeking the maintainer of dbus-python

On 12. 02. 20 1:31, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
Hi,

Hey, thanks for your reply. At least now I understand the situation better, yet IMHO we are not closer to get it fixed.

This package has been deprecated for a very long time (a decade?). Nothing should be using it anymore. Either use GDBus via PyGObject, or another D-Bus client library instead. If anybody wants to take this package, I'm sure that could be arranged. Working out a retirement plan would also be a good idea, though if there are too many rdeps it might not be practical.

This is news to me. The package does not indicate that in any way.

Neither does upstream docs: https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-python/

There are regular releases and the upstream response is very fast.

https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-python/news.html
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus-python/commits/master

I also could not found any announcement in Fedora channels about this.

I know a fair bit about deprecating and removing stuff from Fedora and one thing for sure, it requires a lot of coordination. However in this case, I'm not sure it is actually needed.

Ray's probably the "maintainer" because this package used to be important for GNOME. GNOME package maintainers don't normally read or respond to many bugs in Red Hat Bugzilla. There are orders of magnitude more bugs than can be dealt with, so ignoring all the downstream bugs is usually the only practical solution. We need some script to close all the incoming bugs and ask users to report upstream instead, where the bugs can plausibly be dealt with, except in the case of downstream packaging issues or bugs we need for blocker or FE process. Until someone takes the time to write a script, the bugs are just going to continue piling up.

This seems like an extremely hostile idea to me. I realize that if you get dozens bugzillas a day, it's probably too much to even triage, but autoclosing bugzillas redirecting to upstream or ignoring anything outright is just bad.

Most of the dbus-python bugzillas are about packaging problems (please update, backport, package differently...). Also, it's less than 1 Bugzilla per month. If the "maintainer" is not interested in being an actual maintainer, I suppose orphaning the package is the best course of action, not just ignoring it.

Although, in fairness, I suppose that usual explanation maybe doesn't apply when the default assignee is a defunct mailing list....

To be fair: a "maintainer" who deliberately ignores all Bugzillas or a defunct mailing list -- both have the same outcome.

--
Miro Hrončok