Re: [Retired] gstreamer & gstreamer-plugins-base

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020, 08:44 John M. Harris Jr, <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday, February 9, 2020 3:54:51 PM MST Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 5:36 PM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Friday, January 31, 2020 7:58:55 AM MST Peter Robinson wrote:
> >
> > > Feankly if a proprietary piece of software hasn't migrated in 8+ years
> > > would be looking for a replacement.
> >

> > Proprietary software works at the speed of eventually. This is why RHEL
> > maintains compat libraries going back a ridiculous amount of time, and
> > why
> > RHEL 5, for example, is still used today.
> >

> At some point, someone has to push to eject button. Speaking from
> experience, it's rare that ISVs are willing to be proactive and move
> forward as the community does. The difference between FOSS ISVs and
> proprietary software ISVs is that the community cannot do anything to
> help fix software for the latter. They only move forward when forced to.
>
> I'm sorry, but it simply does not make sense to keep gstreamer0.10 in
> Fedora anymore. I don't say that lightly: the first package I ever
> contributed to Fedora was a pygtk2 application using gstreamer0.10
> called oggconvert. But it is dead this days, and I retired it for
> Fedora 31. Nobody is caring for these things, and stuff like this is
> usually a source of major security issues.
>
> Even today, those people using RHEL 5 are only *now* moving to RHEL 7
> because it was EOLed three years ago. Folks depending on RHEL 6 who
> are slow to move are starting their plans to move to RHEL 8. It is
> what it is. But Fedora is not RHEL. Fedora is supposed to be the place
> where everything happens first. And if we want RHEL releases without
> old, unmaintained stuff, we have to chuck it in Fedora first.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather the software keeps working, rather than
ceasing to function because a library it depends on is no longer available. As
long as it builds and functions, why remove it?

Because it implies it's supported for things like security updates and related things where in reality the gst 0.10 series hasn't been for the best part of a decade and when it comes to media and dealing with internet streams/media that is a real life security problem. The fact it builds is but one part of the overall problem.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity