Re: [Retired] gstreamer & gstreamer-plugins-base

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 5:36 PM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Friday, January 31, 2020 7:58:55 AM MST Peter Robinson wrote:
> > Feankly if a proprietary piece of software hasn't migrated in 8+ years I
> > would be looking for a replacement.
>
> Proprietary software works at the speed of eventually. This is why RHEL
> maintains compat libraries going back a ridiculous amount of time, and why
> RHEL 5, for example, is still used today.

At some point, someone has to push to eject button. Speaking from
experience, it's rare that ISVs are willing to be proactive and move
forward as the community does. The difference between FOSS ISVs and
proprietary software ISVs is that the community cannot do anything to
help fix software for the latter. They only move forward when forced to.

I'm sorry, but it simply does not make sense to keep gstreamer0.10 in
Fedora anymore. I don't say that lightly: the first package I ever
contributed to Fedora was a pygtk2 application using gstreamer0.10
called oggconvert. But it is dead this days, and I retired it for
Fedora 31. Nobody is caring for these things, and stuff like this is
usually a source of major security issues.

Even today, those people using RHEL 5 are only *now* moving to RHEL 7
because it was EOLed three years ago. Folks depending on RHEL 6 who
are slow to move are starting their plans to move to RHEL 8. It is
what it is. But Fedora is not RHEL. Fedora is supposed to be the place
where everything happens first. And if we want RHEL releases without
old, unmaintained stuff, we have to chuck it in Fedora first.