Re: Ideas for better development processes when maintaining hundreds of packages

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 02:51:28PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Pierre-Yves Chibon:
>
> >> Sorry for being unclear.  The spec file in dist-git would still show
> >> some (older) version of the %changelog entries under this model.
> >>
> >> The corrections would update the %changelog with all the historic
> >> entries.  Since auto-generation stops at this commit, the new generated
> >> %changelog will include the fixed entries.
> >>
> >> This would also avoid the need for a new knob to adjust how far back the
> >> %changelog generation goes.
> >
> > Let me rephrase to see if I understand correctly.
> > The changelog would be something like:
> > ``
> > %changelog
> > %generate_changelog
> >
> > <The changelog up to the point the packager opted to use the macro above>
> > ``
> >
> > This way we don't need to generate the old entries, we can just focus on the
> > commits once the packager has opted in and not look at the old commits in the
> > git history.
> >
> > Is that what you were thinking?
>
> Yes, but the generation would not stop when %generate_changelog was
> added, but when the last edit below %changelog was made.
>
> Does this make sense?  Sorry if I'm not explaining this properly.

I think I understand, by going up until the time the changelog was last touched
(be that the macro or something else), we give an easy way to edit it.

We would also need to have fepdkg generate-changelog to help with this.

Pierre