Re: Ideas for better development processes when maintaining hundreds of packages

* Pierre-Yves Chibon:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 01:53:32PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Pierre-Yves Chibon:
>>
>> > Feel free to poke at it and see how it behaves.
>> >
>> > The script only considers:
>> > - the last two years of commits
>> > - commits touching either the spec file or patches (ending with .patch)
>> >
>> > We want a way to say: [Ignore XXX] (or simply [Ignore] if it's the current
>> > commit that should be ignored), as well as a way to say: [Replace XXX] to be
>> > able to replace an existing commit message, but that's not there yet.
>>
>> Have you considered only auto-generating %changelog entries since the
>> last commit that changed the %changelog section?
>
> We thought about that, pull the last changelog from the last build, get the
> commit hash of that last build and only generate the new changelog from
> HEAD..<lastbuild>.
> The issue was: how to fix existing entries (typo, wrong content...) and our
> thought on this was that it would be easier to re-generate the entire changelog
> for this reason.
>
>> To fix entries, you would run a tool to materialize the current
>> auto-generated %changelog (and Release:), and then make the necessary
>> corrections and additions.
>
> Where would this corrections/additions live though?
> We were thinking to include the corrections in other/new commits but if we don't
> reach the old commits, we can't correct them.
>
> What did you have in mind?

Sorry for being unclear.  The spec file in dist-git would still show
some (older) version of the %changelog entries under this model.

The corrections would update the %changelog with all the historic
entries.  Since auto-generation stops at this commit, the new generated
%changelog will include the fixed entries.

This would also avoid the need for a new knob to adjust how far back the
%changelog generation goes.

Thanks,
Florian