Re: Ideas for better development processes when maintaining hundreds of packages

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 01:53:32PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Pierre-Yves Chibon:
>
> > Feel free to poke at it and see how it behaves.
> >
> > The script only considers:
> > - the last two years of commits
> > - commits touching either the spec file or patches (ending with .patch)
> >
> > We want a way to say: [Ignore XXX] (or simply [Ignore] if it's the current
> > commit that should be ignored), as well as a way to say: [Replace XXX] to be
> > able to replace an existing commit message, but that's not there yet.
>
> Have you considered only auto-generating %changelog entries since the
> last commit that changed the %changelog section?

We thought about that, pull the last changelog from the last build, get the
commit hash of that last build and only generate the new changelog from
HEAD..<lastbuild>.
The issue was: how to fix existing entries (typo, wrong content...) and our
thought on this was that it would be easier to re-generate the entire changelog
for this reason.

> To fix entries, you would run a tool to materialize the current
> auto-generated %changelog (and Release:), and then make the necessary
> corrections and additions.

Where would this corrections/additions live though?
We were thinking to include the corrections in other/new commits but if we don't
reach the old commits, we can't correct them.

What did you have in mind?

Thanks,
Pierre