Re: Git Forge Requirements: Please see the Community Blog

On 2020-01-23 11:26, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 10:28:52 -0500,
 Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We don't need to. There are improvements that people would like, and
that does take development effort. That's the piece that requires
manpower to go faster.

In my opinion, I think this is where Red Hat should be helping. Pagure has a chance to change what free projects use for software development. Github isn't free (though they do some nice things for free software). Gitlab is open core, which means they have a conflict of interest when accepting improvements from outsiders. They could also stop supporting the open core at any time, leaving users who want infrastructure running on free software in a poor place.

I completely agree with this.  I find it rather bizarre that I came to know FOSS almost exclusively because of Red Hat, yet it seems the majority of the projects I contribute to are now being hosted on Github, a Microsoft-owned company.  I'd be rather incredulous if someone told me it was going to be like this back in the 90s.  I've little experience with Gitlab, but plenty with Pagure from an internal instance and a few projects on pagure.io like Koji.  I love Pagure and all this talk of possibly pushing it aside for Fedora makes me sad.  I thought it was the way forward and was just getting to an excellent footing.  Pagure might not be a money-making product but it sure can help build a community in an environment that is void of any potential corporate hostility.