Re: Git Forge Requirements: Please see the Community Blog

On ti, 21 tammi 2020, Alex Scheel wrote:
For a period of time, IDM tried using Pagure for FreeIPA development.
They filed a huge number of issues. Now we host issues on Pagure, and
have moved development to GitHub. [*] I think we've mostly quit filing
bugs; the Pagure team has done a good job with the resources they've
been given, but they definitely need more resources to pull this off
to a high level.

FreeIPA does not use Github for its primary code hosting. We do use
Pagure for that and would like to stay with open source forge. We do use
Github to mirror source code from Pagure and utilize pull requests flow,
though, purely because there are two things available there:
 - an easier new contributors' flow
 - ability to integrate with a larger number of CI systems

The first one sometimes is a deal breaker but not really too much. For
example, for Samba a move of existing Github mirror to Gitlab didn't
really reduced inflow of external contributors. Samba project does host
its git tree on own servers and maintains gitlab mirror for actually
doing reviews and accepting external and in-team contributions.

I still try and file issues from time to time...

...but Pagure really doesn't compare in quality to Gogs/Gitea, much
less GitLab or GitHub from strictly a development point of view.

My 2c.

- Alex

[*]: My team (Dogtag) is also considering moving our issues off of
Pagure onto GitHub, to host them along side our code. I don't claim
to speak for all of IDM here though, just noting what they've done.

> TL;DR:
> Can we please keep pagure? It already has the fedora-specific features
> we need, and I don't mind a "slow" pace of development.
> In my experience, it works really well, and I actually *like* to use
> it (which is not true for GitLab ... which is slow and horrible)
+1

> Fabio

I totally agree with Fabio, I can’t think of a single reason we should
dismiss pagure.

Ciao
Guido
FAS: tartina

/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer
Security / Identity Management Engineering
Red Hat Limited, Finland