Re: Git Forge Requirements: Please see the Community Blog

Alexander Bokovoy <abokovoy@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On ti, 21 tammi 2020, Alex Scheel wrote:
>
>> For a period of time, IDM tried using Pagure for FreeIPA development.
>> They filed a huge number of issues. Now we host issues on Pagure, and
>> have moved development to GitHub. [*] I think we've mostly quit
>> filing bugs; the Pagure team has done a good job with the resources
>> they've been given, but they definitely need more resources to pull
>> this off to a high level.

I was one of the people filing under IdM (mostly due to another IdM
component, gssproxy, which is wholly on pagure).  While there was some
activity on them, it has definitely felt like there's no capacity for
new features.

> FreeIPA does not use Github for its primary code hosting. We do use
> Pagure for that and would like to stay with open source forge. We do use
> Github to mirror source code from Pagure and utilize pull requests flow,
> though, purely because there are two things available there:
>   - an easier new contributors' flow

Hmm.  As an occasional drive-by contributor, I don't find this easier.
The problem for me is that the issue tracker and PR interface are on
separate platforms, and there's some pressure to create issues before
filing PRs.  While I prefer the Github workflow (and I agree it's easier
for new contributors), I honestly think it's better to have it in just
one place.

>   - ability to integrate with a larger number of CI systems
>
> The first one sometimes is a deal breaker but not really too much. For
> example, for Samba a move of existing Github mirror to Gitlab didn't
> really reduced inflow of external contributors. Samba project does host
> its git tree on own servers and maintains gitlab mirror for actually
> doing reviews and accepting external and in-team contributions.

As long as the distinction between "canonical source of truth" and "the
one everyone interacts with all the time" doesn't affect non-maintainers
(and they can just use the second), it doesn't really matter - admins
just can't use any of the nice tools for integrating PRs.  I don't
personally think it's a useful distinction in a DVCS world, so I don't
make it in my projects.

Thanks,
--Robbie