Re: Effort to remove libdb

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 12:29:54AM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Is there any software or service that currently uses Berkeley DB that
> cannot reasonably be discarded and rebuilt from scratch for new
> versions of that software, without Berkeley DB entirely, as part of a
> Fedora release?

E.g. pam_abl collects login failures and successes from the PAM sessions to
a BDB file. There is no way of rebuildnig the database because the data source
are events in a live system. But losing the database is not a big deal as the
data are typically only helpful for a few hours.

A bigger issue is that e.g. pam_abl only supports BDB. There is no backend for
other databases. I worry there will be a lot of packages like this.

I recommend to keep the latest license-acceptible BDB in Fedora, schedule
a removal of it for a reasonably future Fedora release and file bugs
against all the packages using it that they need to migrate from BDB until
then.

This gives maintainer and upsreams enough time for migration from BDB. Then
the remaining packages will be dropped from Fedora as a regular fails to
build cleanup.

I think a similar approach was used when uprading OpenSSL to 1.1.1 version.

-- Petr