Re: Effort to remove libdb

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 8:29 PM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The lack of a good backup tool for Berkeley DB earned me nearly a year
> of contracting salary from the BBC to keep alive an obsolete Berkeley
> DB and Apache 1.3  on RHEL systems long after httpd 2.x was released.
> It was discarded by Subversion with good cause.
>
> Why does XEmacs need to preserve a database?

It may not.  XEmacs provides a generic "database" interface in Emacs
Lisp.  The underlying database can be libdb, gdbm, ndbm, and probably
something else I've forgotten.  XEmacs itself only uses that interface
to keep a Unicode code point database.  That is easily recreated.

The problem is that I have no way of knowing what people have done
with the Lisp interface, what databases they may have created.  It is
entirely possible that 0 people will be impacted if I change the
builds to use gdbm instead.  It is also possible that I will get lots
of bugs filed by angry people who can't access their databases
anymore.  I have no way to tell (without actually doing it and seeing
how many bugs get filed, of course).

> Is there anything that couldn't expect a rebuild as part  an OS
> release? Anything that people actually use, besides XEmacs?

Sorry, I'm not catching your meaning here.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/