Re: Update: AAA replacement login Initiative

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 12:47:05PM +0000, Ankur Sinha wrote:

> Thank you. I had a look at the user stories and wondered: is it merely
> meant to be a modernisation/rewrite of FAS with the same features
> (and I assume: back-end improvements), or are new user facing (and
> other) features also intended to be added?

It is indeed a re-write, but a lot of the functionality is being moved
into the existing freeipa project. Initially, I think we want to just
implement those things we need, but of course new features would be good
to add as time/development permits.

> As trivial examples off the top of my head (as a user): I was hoping
> we'd be able to mention multiple IRC nicknames in the new system so
> zodbot (and other services) could pick them up.  Similarly, given that
> we're using new social media platforms in the community now, I was
> hoping we could make it possible for user accounts to include this
> information (Telegram/Twitter/multiple e-mail accounts). Usability on
> mobile platforms is another issue with the current FAS, but I expect
> anything developed nowadays will be mobile compatible.

Yeah, those are both things worth suggesting, sure. ;)

> I'm sure other community members have their own enhancements in mind.

Sure.

> Have these and other limitations of the current FAS been
> discussed/listed somewhere so the new system doesn't end up having them
> too? (Sorry if the user stories were discussed with the community (the
> users in this case) already---I've been failing miserably to keep up
> with everything that goes on in Fedora in recent times :(.)

Yes, some of those things definitely have been discussed, but do feel
free to note them to the team / make sure they are taken under
consideration.

kevin