Re: Update: AAA replacement login Initiative

> On Jan 16, 2020, at 3:48 AM, Sarah Finn <sfinn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>
> I hope you are all well.
>
> I would like to invite you to contribute to our new initiative: AAA replacement login.

I’ll offer a couple of suggestions:

Right now, I enter my Fedora developer password into GNOME Online
Accounts. It regularly stops working with a worthless message and I
have to re-enter my password. Maybe it could remember enough of a
secret to re-authenticate by itself for a while.

And I have a user story: Andy wants to use a password manager to store
his password for an account in the Online Accounts list. When it’s
time to log in, Andy clicks the account and a system modal dialog
appears asking for a password. Andy would like to click the account in
the password manager and copy the password, but he can’t, because the
dialog is system modal.  So instead, Andy grumbles, dismisses the
dialog, copies the password, and then tries to get the dialog to
reappear before the copied password is auto-cleared from the
clipboard.  Andy also wonders why the system modal dialog is not
visually consistent with the Online Accounts application at all.

Yes, this is a bit snarky, but there’s a reason that Microsoft
separated system modal dialog boxes decades ago.  The fact that  GNOME
supports this grotesque anti-pattern and NetworkManager uses it does
not justify using it in anything else.