Re: Fedora 32 Self-Contained Change proposal: Additional buildroot to test x86-64 micro-architecture update

Hi, Chris,

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 4:29 PM Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Aleksandra Fedorova <alpha@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > Similarly to what Josh said, we want to setup an environment for experiments.
> > It doesn't mean that things we experiment on are going to be merged in
> > Fedora. And it definitely doesn't mean that whatever we did in the
> > experimental environment can bypass the approval process.
> >
> > It is not a backdoor for rejected change, it is a way to safely
> > iterate on the rejected change to see if we can come up with a version
> > of it, which won't be rejected.
>
> So... I guess my objections are all based on the proposal as written,
> which doesn't sound to me like what you are describing.  What the
> proposal says is all about rebuilding Fedora with the rejected baseline
> change, and showing that it is better to get the community to accept the
> original change.  It also uses the term "older machines" (which is still
> misleading).

I have adjusted the description of the change in a way that I think
clarifies this part. Please check if it is better now.

Also I've posted some context in a separate thread [1].

I think the current change is important to Fedora also as a showcase
that we, as a project, care not only about the internal distribution
matters but in some large developments in the "outside world".
That we can also provide a venue for, for example, hardware vendors to
show their newest work.

The rejection is a valuable feedback here, it highlights that it is
not enough to just push a new hardware spec to the market to get it
adopted. But we can also try to find a way how actually it _can_ be
done better.

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/3Z5SMF6CPL3MK2CNYPUW4OZYMA6TZJBN/

> --
> Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>