Re: Let's talk about Fedora in the '20s!

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 03:05, Benson Muite <benson_muite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Thank you for the PDF. However, the presentation is sightly outdated
> >> given the listed hardware dating from 2008. Some modern laptops are
> >> equipped with a IR camera Windows Hello type device which could be
> >> suitable for iris recognition similar to devices like Samsung Galaxy S9.
> > Thanks for feedback. Not having to remember many passwords is very
> > useful.
>
> Maybe am wrong about faces/fingerprints as passwords:
>
> https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2019/05/08/5

The issue is that both are ok 2nd factors of authentication but not
primary. The number of points on the finger or face that need to be
tracked to make it a strong factor is enormous and then you have work
out ways to deal with noise. A lot of the built in ones only track a
few points or don't worry about noise to the point that you can put a
person's near relative up to the camera and it will say yep thats the
person. [Or you can simply print a 3d mask or finger and put it up and
it will do the same.]

The problem is that most people don't want to 2 or 3 things.. they
want 1 thing which won't take a lot of work. So we constantly try to
remove the hard thing which is the strongest security for something
simpler. It is like the users who would set their password to
'password' because they had a card which gave 1 time passwords and
were shocked that it was easy to either guess the key or mitm and get
the key. They key wasn't ever meant to be the primary method of
protection.. it is only meant to help assure that the person who has
the password is probably the person who should have it. Fingerprint
and facial recognition are only useful in helping assure that you are
the right person at the keyboard. Relying on it as the only method is
going to lead to easily hacked system.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.