Re: Let's talk about Fedora in the '20s!

Le 2020-01-06 18:19, Matthew Miller a écrit :
Hi,

Second, we need to figure out how to work with language-native packaging formats and more directly with code that's distributed in git repos rather
than as tarball releases.

We're not adding meaningful end-user value by manually repackaging these in
our own format.

It would be nice if it were the case but that’s a completely false assertion.

Re-packaging in our own format is not an horrible toil because our own format is horrible. It’s an horrible toil because our own format is old and mature, and language native formats are not. They lack all kinds of checks. Checks that do not matter in a dev context, but definitely matter in a deployment context.

Handling those checks is where the packaging toil is (that is, as long as Fedora is a deployment project). It is not something the packaging format makes harder.

However, because out packa

--
Nicolas Mailhot