Re: Lagging system with latest kernels

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 4:49 PM Hans Ulrich Niedermann <hun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jan 2020 16:51:36 +0100
Nicolas Mailhot via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 2020-01-09 15:02, Stephen John Smoogen a écrit :
>
> > I have seen something like this happen in the past. I think it was
> > around Fedora 18? kernel time frame.. on certain Lenovo T440? if you
> > did a dd to a usb key, keyboard and mouse would be like you pointed
> > out.
>
> I get this all the time, with or without swap, with or without heavy
> copying. The kernel does not seem to understand the difference
> between latency-sensitive usb input and throughput-sensitive non
> input usb traffic.

I have been noticing occasional occurences of the "key released" event
after a "key pressed" event not reaching the keypress repeat code in
time, so that a normal typing sssssuddenllly contains sommme repeated
letters which I have actually typed in a normal time sequence for
single letters.

The one thing which I have noticed which appears to be statistically
related  to that issue is whether I am running in a "GNOME" session or
a "GNOME on Xorg" session. The first time I have observed this was when
I tried "GNOME" (without Xorg) for the first time, and when I from time
to time tried "GNOME" (without Xorg) instead of my usual "GNOME on
Xorg" session, that behaviour occured again.

In Fedora 31, the "GNOME" (non-Xorg) session delays the "key released"
events significantly less often than it did a year or two ago, but it
still happens occasionally.

I would not link this issue to some kernel version. From my POV, a
"GNOME" (on Wayland without Xorg) session appears to use the rest of
the software stack in a different way than a "GNOME on Xorg" (on
Wayland) session, but where in that software stack I could look for the
issue, I have no idea whatsoever.

Yes, Wayland session is much more susceptible to mouse stuttering and keyboard events being repeated than Xorg session. So, Jan, if you run GNOME, try X11 whether that improves the problem.