Re: dnf autoremove by default on upgrades

On Monday, January 13, 2020 4:07:56 PM CET Chris Murphy wrote:
> I understand the path of least resistance with upgrades. They're
> better off being upgraded, even if they silently have sale bits no
> longer upgraded. From a security perspective, I think being silent
> about that is not great.

Being silent is bad but automatic removal is not much better in general.

> But what I'm getting at is not an upgrade that gets them a system
> nearly identical to a clean install, but rather removing things that
> really should be removed.

The problem is that there is no universal definition of "things that
really should be removed".  One could think that a binary PDF reader
with last update in 2013 should be removed no matter what, while other
Fedora users would not be able to use Fedora without it and proactively
overcome all the obstacles we created to force them to remove it ;-)

Kamil