Re: What would it take to drop release and changelog from our spec files? (and do we want to?)

Le 2020-01-13 16:20, Randy Barlow a écrit :

Now, we could change the policy too to get around this, but I think
"git tag" is a natural way for me to indicate "I want to build and
release this commit to this Fedora release".

Please do not try to infer packaged commit from src.fedoraproject.org commit tags.

As a general principle, inventing complex string structures that require complex one-of-a-king parsers (with heuristics that always fail one way or another) does not work. rpm is not perl (for a long time). Keep a separate variable/field/tag for separate info, do not multiplex them.

Practically, we already have a standard way to set target commit in the distribution, %{commit} and several hundred distro packages depend on this mecanism.

Auto-release, if it exists, should correspond to spec release info and nothing more, with all the packaged project info read from the spec. Or else we’ll get madness like a tag that says something is at version/tag/commit X and the tagged spec that declares it is Y.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot