Re: What would it take to drop release and changelog from our spec files? (and do we want to?)

Dne 13. 01. 20 v 14:05 Vít Ondruch napsal(a):
> Dne 12. 01. 20 v 22:56 Miro Hrončok napsal(a):
>> On 10. 01. 20 17:36, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
>>> Is there a different approach, e.g. by using towncrier[1] or something
>>> comparable, to track changes outside the spec file?
>> Is the idea of using annotated git tags abandoned altogether?
>>
>> We could even create a tool that would "prefill" a template with all
>> commit messages since the latest annotated tag.
>>
>> So you would do:
>>

>> - commit, commit, commit (optional pushes)
>> - fedpkg release
>> - edit the message, inspect the e:v-r, be able to abort if I don't
>> like it
>> - fedpkg push - pushes the tags and branch
>> - fedpkg build
>>

>> And when somebody attempts to do a untagged build, it would fail,
>> similarly to what it does now when you try to build unpushed changes.
>>

>> Example template:
>>

>>     # You are about to tag foobar 1.1-1
>>     # Here are the commit messages since 1.0-6
>>     #
>>     # This is the 1st commit message:
>>
>>     Update to 1.1
>>
>>     # This is the commit message #2:
>>
>>     Damn sources
>>
>>     # This is the commit message #3:
>>
>>     Fix the tests
>>
>>     # This is the commit message #4:
>>
>>     Typo
>>
>>     # Please amend the commit messages to a %changelog entry. Lines
>> starting
>>     # with '#' will be ignored, and an empty message aborts the release.
>>     # If you like to change the release number, abort the process and
>> follow
>>     # <link to docs>
>>     #
>>     # Author:    Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>     # Date:      Sun Jan 12 22:54:32 2020 +0100
>>     #
>>     # Use --author and/or --date to change the above.
>>

> While I like the annotated tag proposal, I would really appreciate if
> the first step was replacing the:
>

> ~~~
>
> %changelog
>
> * Tue Jan 07 2020 Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> - 2.7.0-1
> - Upgrade to Ruby 2.7.0.
> - Drop useless %%{rubygems_default_filter}.
> - Fix checksec 2.0+ compatibility.
>
> * Tue Jun 25 2019 Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> - 2.6.3-121
> - Properly support %%prerelease in %%gemspec_ macros.
>
> ... snip ...
>
> ~~~
>

> in .spec file by
>

> ~~~
>
> %changelog
>
> %include changelog
>
> ~~~
>

> where the `changelog` file would be either available with the original
> changelog content in repository or if it was not available, it would be
> provided by build infra. The *provided by infra* is the most important
> thing here. This IMO would allow us incrementally improve the situation.
>
> Then we could discuss how to provide the content of the `changelog`
> [...]

Actually, I took the liberty and filled this guideline proposal change
[1], which just suggests keeping changelogs in `changelog` file, outside
of the .spec file.

Vít

[1] https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/pull-request/942