Re: What would it take to drop release and changelog from our spec files? (and do we want to?)

On 1/13/20 2:44 PM, Nicolas Mailhot via devel wrote:
Le 2020-01-13 12:52, Florian Weimer a écrit :

I have trouble matching this claim to my experience working on
redhat-rpm-config.  Why is it painful to use Git as it was designed?

Because redhat-rpm-config is not "using Git as it was designed". It’s using git as a centralized flat and linear SCM (à la SVN/CVS) without putting the project info in the repository but in a static spec mapping.

In sane macro project that use separate sources you can do things like "install rpm/macros.d/* to %{_rpmconfigdir}/macros.d/" (because if you accepted a PR that puts things in rpm/macros.d and tagged the result you *want* this result deployed in %{_rpmconfigdir}/macros.d/, right?). In redhat-rpm-config that does not work. Every single file is a different source with custom spec handling.

Apart from being inefficient this custom handling badly collides whenever two PRs try to add new files. With a real detached source project, with a real tree managed by git, all the eventual tree collisions would be managed by git. With everything-is-a-separate-source files collide (at the source number level) even when they have different filenames, and will be deployed in different places.

Well yes, nothing is perfect. These are such minor issues compared to the patches-on-patches-of-patches horror that was before that it fails to register on my annoyance scale at all, it's nothing but a nice tradeoff for being able to use git as deity meant it for this content.

	- Panu -