Re: What would it take to drop release and changelog from our spec files? (and do we want to?)

Le vendredi 10 janvier 2020 à 17:36 +0100, Pierre-Yves Chibon a écrit :
> Good Morning Everyone,
>
> This is not a new idea, it has been presented at flock last year and
> spoken
> about on this very list this fall, so I'd like to push it a little
> further.
>
> Do we want to drop release and changelog from our spec file?
> If we do, how would this work?

Dropping changelog is easy. Since we have a clean separation of spec
repo (src.fedoraproject.org) and project repo (pagure, gitlab or
elsewhere) the spec should just be assembled from all the
src.fedoraproject.org commit messages not present in the previous
generated changelog

(that won't work for thinks ike rehat-rpm-config because it does not
separate the project files in a separate repository but it’s high time
it behaved likea normal project, the non separation is a major PITA to
deal with)

Droping releases is much harder to design for because we don’t have a
linear build history, there are branches that split and then re-merge
at system release time (sometimes, with excursions in copr or another
repo), none of the proposed solutions would accomodate those workflows.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot