Re: What would it take to drop release and changelog from our spec files? (and do we want to?)

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 6:36 PM Nicolas Mailhot via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le vendredi 10 janvier 2020 à 17:36 +0100, Pierre-Yves Chibon a écrit :
> > Good Morning Everyone,
> >
> > This is not a new idea, it has been presented at flock last year and
> > spoken
> > about on this very list this fall, so I'd like to push it a little
> > further.
> >
> > Do we want to drop release and changelog from our spec file?
> > If we do, how would this work?
>
> Dropping changelog is easy. Since we have a clean separation of spec
> repo (src.fedoraproject.org) and project repo (pagure, gitlab or
> elsewhere) the spec should just be assembled from all the
> src.fedoraproject.org commit messages not present in the previous
> generated changelog
>
> (that won't work for thinks ike rehat-rpm-config because it does not
> separate the project files in a separate repository but it’s high time
> it behaved likea normal project, the non separation is a major PITA to
> deal with)

(snip)

> Droping releases is much harder to design for because we don’t have a
> linear build history, there are branches that split and then re-merge
> at system release time (sometimes, with excursions in copr or another
> repo), none of the proposed solutions would accomodate those workflows.

You can never expect our tooling to do "magic" (TM) and work "just
right", no matter which Versions and Releases and Epochs of packages
are available from third-party repos and coprs. This has nothing to do
with proposed auto-generated Release tag, and it's definitely not a
new problem. We've basically ignored consistency with third-party
repos until now - and rightly so, IMO - because that's what "dnf
distro-sync" is for. (Even upgrade path from fedora N to N+1 doesn't
have to be "clean" anymore, because system-upgrade operates in
"distro-sync" mode by default now ...)

Fabio