Re: Let's talk about Fedora in the '20s!

On 07/01/2020 13:06, Fabio Valentini wrote:

- ruby is weird, packaging gems is a bit of a chore, upstream has many
knobs to fiddle with to make distro packaging hard (for example, not
including test sources in .gem files seems to be a common practice),
there's no canonical way of running test suites, and I think the
%check section of all my rubygem packages is different and
specifically tailored to the package ...

Yeah npm does many of those things as well...

Test files often excluded from npmjs.com tar ball and only available
on github where people often forget to tag releases.

While "npm test" is the normal way I'm not sure it's safe to actually
run npm during the build - we certainly don't normally. In any case
that often runs all sorts of other stuff like linters or coverage
tests that aren't relevant and require extra dependencies so we
usually look at what "npm test" actually does and run that.

Test dependencies is another issue - the devDependencies key in the
metadata often includes lots of things that aren't needed by the tests
but are needed for other reasons by people working on the package.

Also the npmjs.com tar ball may not even have the real source if the
package is transpiled from typescript or a different js variant. Though
in that case it's often a road block at the moment as we typically won't
have the toolchain necessary to do those build steps packaged.

Lots of npm packages that claim to be BSD or MIT are missing the license
text is another good one.

Decoding whether a "bin" target declared in the metadata is actually
worth exporting in /usr/bin and if so by what name is another thorny
issue to automate.

Then of course there's the whole issue of massive dependency trees
and version mismatches unless you start packaging multiple versions
of the same libraries.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)