Re: List of long term FTBFS packages to be retired in February

On Mon, 2020-01-06 at 17:27 -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 4:58 PM Peter Jones <pjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 12:54:58PM +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> >
> > > Regardless of different opinions about aggressiveness, having policies
> > > and no enforcement makes no sense. Either the polices are too
> > > aggressive and we need to change them, or they are not and we need to
> > > enforce them.
> >
> > That seems like a rather poor way to think about policy in general, and
> > I have some disagreements with it in this specific case as well.  In
> > general, you're not considering that it may be worth having policies
> > reflect our *ideal* situation, and acknowledge that they don't always
> > fit the real world precisely.
> >
> I agree with both of you here. I'm a big believer in the "don't have
> rules you're not willing to enforce" philosophy, but I also think
> "zero tolerance" is a bad approach to things.
>
> The challenge we face here in particular is how to strike the right
> balance. Strict enforcement is the easiest to scale because it can be
> largely automated. The problem is that we run into these non-ideal
> cases and don't have a good way to handle them.

I mean, I kind of disagree? Miro has already said multiple times he's
perfectly willing to have exceptions to the policy, they just need to
be decided on and justified. The enforcement tools and processes can
handle exceptions, that's not the issue: the issue (at least as Miro
describes it) is that until today, the maintainer did not actually show
up and say "hey, shim* should be excepted from this policy, for these
reasons" in response to all the prompts about this process.

>  A more hands-on
> approach would be better, if we had a person whose full time job was
> to go through the output and identify what is and is not appropriate
> to remove.

It seems reasonable to require packagers who want exceptions to at
least _ask for them and justify them themselves_. That really doesn't
seem like an onerous burden. It's a one-time effort.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey