Re: List of long term FTBFS packages to be retired in February

On 06. 01. 20 12:17, Peter Robinson wrote:
On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 10:35 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear maintainers.

Based on the latest fail to build from source policy, the following packages
will be retired from Fedora 32 approximately one week before branching (February
2020).

Policy:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Fails_to_build_from_source_Fails_to_install/

The packages in rawhide were not successfully built at least since Fedora 30.

This report is based on dist tags.

Packages collected via:
https://github.com/hroncok/fedora-report-ftbfs-retirements/blob/master/ftbfs-retirements.ipynb

If you see a package that was built, please let me know.
If you see a package that should be exempted from the process, please let me
know and we can work together to get a FESCo approval for that.

If you see a package that can be rebuilt, please do so.

               Package                      (co)maintainers           Latest build
elasticsearch                     hubbitus, jvanek, lbazan,        Fedora 24
                                     zbyszek
expresso                          jamielinux, nodejs-sig,          Fedora 28
                                     patches
libocrdma                         ocrdma                           Fedora 27
nuvola-app-google-calendar        martinkg                         Fedora 29
nuvola-app-groove                 martinkg                         Fedora 28
nuvola-app-logitech-media-        martinkg                         Fedora 29
server
nuvola-app-plex                   martinkg                         Fedora 29
nuvola-app-soundcloud             martinkg                         Fedora 29
nuvola-app-yandex-music           martinkg                         Fedora 29
shim-unsigned-aarch64             pjones                           Fedora 28
shim-unsigned-x64                 pjones                           Fedora 28

The following packages require above mentioned packages:
Depending on: expresso (1)
         nodejs-chrono (maintained by: jamielinux, nodejs-sig, tomh)
                 nodejs-chrono-1.0.5-10.fc31.src requires npm(expresso) = 0.9.2

Affected (co)maintainers
hubbitus: elasticsearch
jamielinux: expresso
jvanek: elasticsearch
lbazan: elasticsearch
martinkg: nuvola-app-soundcloud, nuvola-app-logitech-media-server,
nuvola-app-yandex-music, nuvola-app-groove, nuvola-app-google-calendar,
nuvola-app-plex
nodejs-sig: expresso
ocrdma: libocrdma
patches: expresso
pjones: shim-unsigned-aarch64, shim-unsigned-x64

These two are now assigned, why are they still in the list?

Because they were not rebuilt since Fedora 28. Any bug status does not have any impact on this.

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Fails_to_build_from_source_Fails_to_install/

"Cca a week before the Fedora N mass branching, packages that weren’t successfully rebuilt at least in Fedora N-2 will be retired assuming there have been at least 5 warnings on the devel mailing list. The bug status has no effect on this retirement."

This is part of the policy to prevent maintainers form simply ASSIGNING bugs forever without fixing anything.

As said in the e-mail, if you think the policy needs to be adapted, please discuss - I have made sure the recent changes in the policy are discussed with the community, especially since you were so angry when I followed the previous one. Unfortunately, there was no input from you when the policy was discussed, despite me repeatedly asking you to stop being angry at me and participate in the policy discussion instead.

Also said in the e-mail, if you think those packages need to be exempted from the process, we can deal with that to, however there must be a valid reason. I don't think "the maintainer didn't actually maintain their Fedora packages for almost 2 years because they have real stuff to do" is a valid reason, yet other FESCo members might disagree with that statement.

--
Miro Hrončok