Re: List of long term FTBFS packages to be retired in February

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 11:34 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >>                Package                      (co)maintainers           Latest build
> >> ================================================================================
> >> elasticsearch                     hubbitus, jvanek, lbazan,        Fedora 24
> >>                                      zbyszek
> >> expresso                          jamielinux, nodejs-sig,          Fedora 28
> >>                                      patches
> >> libocrdma                         ocrdma                           Fedora 27
> >> nuvola-app-google-calendar        martinkg                         Fedora 29
> >> nuvola-app-groove                 martinkg                         Fedora 28
> >> nuvola-app-logitech-media-        martinkg                         Fedora 29
> >> server
> >> nuvola-app-plex                   martinkg                         Fedora 29
> >> nuvola-app-soundcloud             martinkg                         Fedora 29
> >> nuvola-app-yandex-music           martinkg                         Fedora 29
> >> shim-unsigned-aarch64             pjones                           Fedora 28
> >> shim-unsigned-x64                 pjones                           Fedora 28
> >>
> >> The following packages require above mentioned packages:
> >> Depending on: expresso (1)
> >>          nodejs-chrono (maintained by: jamielinux, nodejs-sig, tomh)
> >>                  nodejs-chrono-1.0.5-10.fc31.src requires npm(expresso) = 0.9.2
> >>
> >> Affected (co)maintainers
> >> hubbitus: elasticsearch
> >> jamielinux: expresso
> >> jvanek: elasticsearch
> >> lbazan: elasticsearch
> >> martinkg: nuvola-app-soundcloud, nuvola-app-logitech-media-server,
> >> nuvola-app-yandex-music, nuvola-app-groove, nuvola-app-google-calendar,
> >> nuvola-app-plex
> >> nodejs-sig: expresso
> >> ocrdma: libocrdma
> >> patches: expresso
> >> pjones: shim-unsigned-aarch64, shim-unsigned-x64
> >
> > These two are now assigned, why are they still in the list?
>
> Because they were not rebuilt since Fedora 28. Any bug status does not have any
> impact on this.
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Fails_to_build_from_source_Fails_to_install/
>
> "Cca a week before the Fedora N mass branching, packages that weren’t
> successfully rebuilt at least in Fedora N-2 will be retired assuming there have
> been at least 5 warnings on the devel mailing list. The bug status has no effect
> on this retirement."
>
> This is part of the policy to prevent maintainers form simply ASSIGNING bugs
> forever without fixing anything.
>
> As said in the e-mail, if you think the policy needs to be adapted, please
> discuss - I have made sure the recent changes in the policy are discussed with
> the community, especially since you were so angry when I followed the previous
> one. Unfortunately, there was no input from you when the policy was discussed,
> despite me repeatedly asking you to stop being angry at me and participate in

What recent discussions, I've not actually looked at a lot of Fedora
related stuff much since August because of constant travel and things
related directly to my $dayjob so I likely missed any of the
discussion if it's happened since then.

Angry, I wasn't angry, annoyed certainly. It does annoy me that we're
driving away packagers that have a little time here and there with
these policies, I feel we have too few contributors already and
aggressive policies and enforcement only make it worse.

> Also said in the e-mail, if you think those packages need to be exempted from
> the process, we can deal with that to, however there must be a valid reason. I
> don't think "the maintainer didn't actually maintain their Fedora packages for
> almost 2 years because they have real stuff to do" is a valid reason, yet other
> FESCo members might disagree with that statement.

Well the FTB from people pushing builds would be directly due to the
fact they're not on the ACL for the secure-boot, there is a handful of
packages like that.

Well FESCo might agree that they want booting x86 images with
secure-boot so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯