Re: List of long term FTBFS packages to be retired in February

On Mon, 2020-01-06 at 14:48 -0500, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > > What recent discussions, I've not actually looked at a lot of Fedora
> > > related stuff much since August because of constant travel and things
> > > related directly to my $dayjob so I likely missed any of the
> > > discussion if it's happened since then.
> >
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/NKFYAWL4GWYR37C6XA63JMNBZYEM6BI3/
> >
> > > Angry, I wasn't angry, annoyed certainly. It does annoy me that we're
> > > driving away packagers that have a little time here and there with
> > > these policies, I feel we have too few contributors already and
> > > aggressive policies and enforcement only make it worse.
> >
> > That's exactly why I want the policies less aggressive. A year + long
> > FTBFS isn't aggressive in my POV.
>
> If you don't have the time to make a new build once every year, you
> shouldn't be a packager, full stop.  If this is too arduous a
> requirement, I recommend getting involved with the efforts to improve
> the packaging workflow.  We are talking about crypto-related packages
> here; being able to rebuild them and be confident in their contents is
> arguably more important than any other kind of package.  Anecdotally,
> I've sent two non-responsive maintainer emails (both involving CVEs
> which were fixed as a result).

We're kind of litigating a Red Hat staffing issue as a Fedora policy
argument here, aren't we? I mean, yes, obviously, we can't
realistically remove shim from the distro (for a start it would mean
we'd be violating our own release criteria, as those require boot on
Secure Boot-enabled systems to work). But at the same time, it's pretty
hard to argue that pjones is a sufficiently active maintainer of the
things he's supposed to be maintaining. This is for perfectly good
reasons, but that doesn't stop it being a problem.

For me the obvious solution to this is: RH needs to hire someone to
deal with the dull stuff pjones doesn't have time for. (That person
needs to be trusted by all relevant entities for Secure Boot purposes
too, I guess, which might make it slightly trickier, but still doesn't
seem like an insuperable problem).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey