Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 08:09:14PM -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> It's simply not the case that optical drives have been uncommon on
> end-user systems for over 6 years. As we found earlier in this thread,
> they're on 1/3rd of stock desktops from a standard consumer vendor,
> and on most systems that are sold to enterprise customers as designed
> to run RHEL, at least from one of the major vendors of enterprise
> hardware.

And that only matters if those systems won't boot off a USB stick.
These days, folks are far, far more likely to have a random 2GB USB
stick lying around than blank DVD media.

(And even a bottom-of-the-barrel USB stick is going to perform vastly
 better than an optical drive.  Two orders of magnitude better access
 time, and all that..)

> Fedora runs on much more than just systems produced within the last 10
> years. For example, the laptop I'm using to send this message is now
> 11 years old. All of my personal servers are between 9 and 12 years
> old. These all run Fedora, without issue. I'm definitely not the only
> one running Fedora on "old" hardware.

Not counting a couple of Raspberry Pi units, the newest system I have
deployed is a 5-year-old laptop with an increasingly-flaky motherboard.

The oldest dates from 2007, and is only in service because its erstwhile
replacement spectacularly expelled its magic smoke.

FWIW, most of my upgrades have been triggered by hardware failures.

> How so? Do you believe it's an issue with Fedora, or with the systems
> themselves? I'd be happy to help you diagnose this off-list, or on the
> users list.

Oh, it's purely hardware reliability, nothing to do with Fedora itself.

Normal stuff like hard drives, fans, power supplies, and expired CMOS
batteries.  Relatively hostile environmental conditions don't help.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
High Springs, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^