Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 6:33:12 PM MST Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> > On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 10:02:42 AM MST Justin W. Flory wrote:
> >
> > > This might not affect people **using** Fedora for enterprise purposes
> >

> > Well, this definitely affects those using Fedora for enterprise purposes.
> > It's  incredible how much businesses still rely on optical media for
> > these things.
>
> Again, you're projecting from an anecdote of one.  My anecdote of one is
> that the vast majority of system in my company (around 400 employees
> IIRC) don't have an optical drive.  I'm actually not sure if any of the
> desktops have one (since every once in a while someone will come around
> looking for a USB optical drive, usually to burn something to send to
> someone outside the company).  OS installs (mostly Windows, sigh) are
> done from USB flash drives.
>
> We had some blank media on the shelf, but I think it got thrown away
> when we moved offices early this year, because nobody actually had a
> drive to put it in.

That's not what I'm talking about. I work for a company of ~18,000 employees,
and the vast majority of systems do have optical drives. However, that doesn't
matter.

As you noted about "to send someone outside of the company", enterprise
customers still use optical media a lot more than you might expect. For
example, recently I've been asked to maintain a RHEL install disk with
packages from epel and a custom kickstart, for re-installs when my team isn't
available.

In environments where you can do it, I'd strongly recommend using a PXE server
when deploying large numbers of systems, which I'd personally describe as any
environment with over 10 systems.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity