Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

Neal Gompa wrote:
> You've been saying this a lot lately, and this isn't actually backed
> up by reality.
>
> Debian *is* dropping Python 2 support.

It was Adam Williamson who claimed that Debian would still support Python 2.
I neglected to verify that claim, sorry for that.

But this means that his argument that users who need Python 2 should just
switch to Debian is null and void.

So far, Fedora has always been one of the few distributions willing to ship
legacy compatibility libraries to keep software working. See GTK+ 1, Qt 3,
etc. (Some of it, such as Qt 3, was partly my own work, some of it, such as
GTK+ 1, has been entirely done by other volunteers.) With the Python 2
policy, and also with the package deprecation process that was introduced
recently, Fedora is making a radical U-turn, which will make it much less
useful for end users. And there is no real alternative to switch to. Debian
is clearly not one.

Maintainers need to realize that there is lots of niche software out there
that is effectively unmaintained (and thus will never get ported to Python 3
etc.), but that works, fulfills some task, and has no more recent
alternative available. What should people relying on such software do?

        Kevin Kofler