Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 9:14:53 PM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 7:48 PM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >

> > While that may be representative of "where the market is going", it's not
> > representative of where we are. Please keep in mind that we support far
> > more than just the latest generation hardware. We don't support quite as
> > much as Debian, but we have many users who don't have UEFI, or have early
> > UEFI firmware, which doesn't support USB boot.
>

> Fedora QA has variably floated dropping the physical optical boot
> criterion for at least the past two or three years. In terms of
> testing, it's where we have been for a while.

It simply is not where we are now, nor have we been "for a while".

> > This is a good example of what I mentioned about hardware that runs
> > Fedora. Many people won't want to replace their hardware just because
> > their OS is randomly throwing out compatibility for it, like we have been
> > prone to do in Fedora recently.
>

> Hyberbole. This is not an arbitrary proposal or process.

It is completely arbitrary. It works right now. Testing it requires very
little user time, and only needs to be done after automated tests have already
passed.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity