Re: Allow comments and discussion even though an update was pushed to stable

Fabio Valentini wrote:
> Right. So should the default of -3/+3 be changed for "critpath" packages?
> They already need 14 days in testing, but they also get orders of
> magnitude more feedback, so raising the karma limits to -2/+6 or something
> like that sounds reasonable to me.
>
> On the other hand, I wouldn't even have any objections to changing the
> defaults to something like -2/+6 for all packages, since it wouldn't make
> any difference at all for the majority of packages that reach 7 days in
> testing without any feedback whatsoever.

IMHO, packages should just not be autopushed at all, no matter what
threshold. An update can have +2 karma and be perfectly good to push, or it
can have +10 karma and still have issues. It depends on what the users
actually tested. So the maintainer should always read the freeform feedback
text and decide based on that. (In fact, I would abolish the numeric karma
entirely, provide only the freeform text field for feedback, and let the
maintainer decide after reading it all. Humans will always make better
decisions than naïve algorithms. But IMHO, even if the minimum karma
requirement of +1 or 7 days wait time for non-critpath and +2 or 14 days
wait time for critpath remains unchanged, it would still be an improvement
to not allow automatic pushes of any kind.)

        Kevin Kofler