Re: Allow comments and discussion even though an update was pushed to stable

On 2019-12-06, Johannes Lips <johannes.lips@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It really depends which mirrors you are using and if you are unlucky
> the updates get pushed to stable, before it reaches updates-testing
> for you and then again there's nothing to add, once it's pushed.

If you use metalink in your repository configuration (a default
configuration), DNF always asks Fedora servers for the metadata. Thus
DNF always gets the latest metadata.  Then when downloading packages,
outdated mirros are automatically excluded.

If you manually changed the configuration to baseurl, then you
deliberately bypass Fedora infrastructure and you are at the mercy of
the mirror administrators.

Maybe DNF could support setting a prefered mirror while still checking
for the latest metadata because in my experience the automatic mirror
selection does not always provide the best performance. (E.g. when
I connected an IPv6 only host in Germany, it resorted to a USA mirror.)

-- Petr