Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

Le mercredi 04 décembre 2019 à 16:59 -0700, John M. Harris Jr a écrit :
> On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:38:20 PM MST Przemek Klosowski via
> devel
> wrote:
> > - stolen/lost laptop:  I think this is the most important one for
> > most
> > people; it is mitigaged by a trusted-network-based decryption,
> > unless
> > the device is in unencrypted sleep mode and the new 'beneficial
> > owner'
> > manages to read the disk before the system goes down.
>
> That may be the case for home users, but not for businesses. Let's
> take this
> example. Employee A has files from a given project, but Employee B
> doesn't
> have access to that project. Employee B is malicious, and takes
> Employee A's
> laptop, gets it on the network, it unencrypts itself and then takes
> it. The
> data is not Employee B's.

Let’s get real, in most businesses, the data will already be available
in a network share, a common database, etc. Trying to perform fine-
grained control checks on the mass of data businesses routinely
manipulate is a loosing game. You always end up needing to trust
humans.

That’s even the case in ultra-secure environments like the NSA. How do
you think wikileaks happened?

--
Nicolas Mailhot