Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:35:01 PM MST Przemek Klosowski via devel
wrote:
> I think Chris is referring to the fact that you have to be there when
> the encrypted system is restarted, to type the decryption key/password.
> The dilemma is this: if the decryption is automatic, it doesn't really
> protect the data at rest, because the boot process is not secured like
> it is on Android or IOS, and therefore the intruders could get in and
> access the now-unencrypted disk.
>
> It is conceivable  to set up some sort of location-based decryption,
> where you would not have to give the password if the system is on a
> known network, authenticating through a trusted interface to a known
> host, but it's not a solved problem.

There are solutions for this, in the form of dracut modules that spawn an SSH
server, and wait for you to connect and unlock the system, if you are not
available to unlock it physically.

Network based decryption keys are possible, but I don't recommend it, because
there's no way to determine that the user booting up the system is actually
meant to have access to the data that's on it. However, if you're interested
in network based keys for that purpose, that'd be a surprisingly simple
project. I believe there was a blog post from a Red Hat engineer a few years
ago about network based luks volume decryption.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity