Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

On 12/4/19 5:25 AM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
Network based decryption keys are possible, but I don't recommend it, because
there's no way to determine that the user booting up the system is actually
meant to have access to the data that's on it.

There are two distinct thread models :

- stolen/lost laptop:  I think this is the most important one for most  people; it is mitigaged by a trusted-network-based decryption, unless the device is in unencrypted sleep mode and the new 'beneficial owner' manages to read the disk before the system goes down.

- someone breaks into your home/office/hotel room and extracts the data: important to some people but not very common scenario.

You are correct that it's hard to mitigate both of those threats, but I think the first one is the primary concern.

To be clear, I was suggesting a network scheme where your device authenticates from e.g. a trusted subnet to a known server IP with a specific certificate associated with this IP. To defeat this, you can't just set up a a fake IP network ---you would have to somehow break into (physically or at least electronically) the trusted subnet.

By the way, as I said. Android/IOS solved those issues by having a secure boot process, so the OS can fully boot and will keep the secrets until local ( or possibly remote) authentication. So this is a solved problem, and perhaps we should be looking into securing the full boot process instead of trying to mitigate threats resulting from the holes in it.