Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 9:01 AM Roberto Ragusa <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/4/19 12:28 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
> > I actually prefer the idea that'd if I'm not logged in, my data is
> > considered at rest and crypto home is locked, in contrast to how FDE
> > does it which treats my data as not at rest even though I'm not logged
> > in at all.
>
> On the other hand I would expect my cronjobs to be able to run "as me"
> even if I'm not physically present.
> This "logged in" concept coming from Windows and OS X never fits too well
> with Linux.

It's a valid use case that is being taken into account. The open
question is the degree of "lock down" by default. You'd still be able
to opt out of login being tied to ~/ encryption, if that is
incongruent with your workflow. And you'd still be able to opt into a
conventional full disk encryption scheme instead.

Other alternatives:
a. At least on ext4, you can today selectively encrypt directories and
files, so you could have an non-encrypted ~/ by default, and choose
what directories to encrypt. There's no GUI assistance for this yet
that I'm aware of.
b. If you can clearly compartmentalize our use cases, you can have two
accounts, one is encrypted and other not.

I think the later two put a lot of burden on the user to figure out
and manage. I'm not sure there's a way for GNOME or systemd-homed to
directly support such use cases, but I also don't expect it would
stand in the way of user implementation of such a scheme.

--
Chris Murphy