Re: What are the benefits of default modular streams over non-modular packages?

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 7:24 AM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> > As Petr Pisar noted earlier, default streams are designed to deliver the
> > same user experience as ursine packages, therefore there is no *direct*
> > advantage or disadvantage of them over ursine packages, for Fedora
> > *users*.
>
> Sorry, the "no disadvantage" part is just not true:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/6KLXZXI777Q7C7MPEO7HHWM7XGVSJVIK/
>

> * introduce upgrade path issues when upgrading to a newer Fedora,

This has been acknowledged as a bug and is on its way to being fixed.

> * make it harder to replace packages with local versions (because the module normally takes precedence over non-modular versions of the same packages),

This is a valid concern and it is one we are investigating a solution
for right now. One possible answer: if the RPM location is specified
directly (URL or filesystem location) assume that the user wants to
override the modular package.

> * may introduce dependency version conflicts due to versioned dependencies on other modules (whereas non-modular packages currently cannot depend on non-default modules, and it should really stay that way), and those are just the 3 obvious issues.

We just adopted the policy that a default module stream may not depend
on any non-default module streams. As long as this is properly
enforced, this issue is addressed already.

> The design fails to deliver on its promise of delivering the exact same user
> experience.

This is incorrect. The *implementation* is currently failing to
deliver the same user experience.